- Question: [Tuesday, 4th Tishreiy 5780]
How should we do Kaparos this year if we can’t do over chickens as normally done due to the Covid 19 restrictions?
There are a few options available, listed here in order of precedence:
- Appoint a Shliach to do Kaparos on your behalf over a chicken, if viable. [See Keser Shem Tov of Rav Ganin 4 p. 229 that so is custom of Sephardim in Eretz Yisrael; Syria, Egypt and Turkey; Mishneh Halachos 17:7; Mechkirei Aretz 5:111; Nitei Gavriel 11:13; See Rama 605:1; Admur 605:1-3 and Siddur it is implied that the main aspect of Kaparos is to have a chicken slaughtered on one’s behalf, and not necessarily the waving over the head.]
- Do over another animal/bird [See Admur 605:1; 2nd option in M”A 605:3 and M”B 605:4]
- Do over fish [3rd option in M”A ibid in name of Levush and M”B 605:4]
- Do over money [4th option in M”A ibid regarding using a plant; Chayeh Adam 144; M”B 605:2; Custom of world Jewry, brought in Siddur Chabad of 1944 published by the Rebbe]
Whatever one chooses from above is fine, and the main thing is not to endanger anyone else, or yourself!