Chapter 6: The makeup of the animal soul & definition of good versus evil
(LY) 5th Teves
- The ten aspects and three garments of the animal soul:
- The anatomy of the animal soul is identical to the G-dly soul: The animal soul which derives from the side of evil was created identical to the G-dly soul. Just as the G-dly soul contains 10 holy Sefiros which is invested within three holy garments, so too the animal soul which comes from the side of evil and is invested in the blood of man is made up of 10 aspects of impurity.
- The 10 aspects of the animal soul: The 10 aspects of impurity include seven evil emotions and character traits, and three intellectual aspects that create them.
- The seven emotions: The seven emotional character traits of the animal soul derive from the four evil elements of fire, water, air, and earth.
- The three intellectual aspects-The Chabad of the animal soul develops its emotions: The intellect of the animal soul which births its characters and emotions is split into three, Chochmah, Bina, and Daas. They serve as the source and mother of the emotions and character traits of the animal soul which are all commensurate with one’s intellect.
- A child’s emotions fluctuate based on his intellectual maturity: This concept and relationship between the intellect and emotions can be vividly seen in a child who desires and yearns [only] for trivial matters [such as sweets and chocolates] due to his intellectual immaturity which cannot yet comprehend matters of greater incentive and value. [As he matures and his mind develops, he will stop desiring trivial matters and rather desire matters of greater value such as money and the like.] Likewise, a child has a quick fuse and is bound to have flareups of anger and fury over trivial matters. The same applies regarding all other emotions, such as boastfulness and the like, which are all dependent on one’s intellectual maturity and comprehension.
- The garments of the animal soul: When a person entertains these 10 impure aspects of his animal soul, either through thinking about them, or in speech or action, then the thought that is in his mind, and speech that is in his mouth, and energy that is in his hands and other limbs, become impure garments for the animal soul and its 10 impure aspects.
- The definition of evil:
- The definition of Evil action: The action of the animal soul which is defined as evil includes all actions that are done under the sun without a G-dly purpose.