Melachim 2/Kings 2-Chapter 23
1. The reign of Yehoachaz
- His age at the time of his reign: Yehoachaz was twenty-three years old when he became king.
- His time of reign: Yehoachaz reigned in Jerusalem for [only] three months.
- His mothers name: His mother’s name was Chamutal the daughter of Yeremiah from the city of Livnah.
- His deeds: Yehoachaz performed evil in the eyes of Hashem, as his ancestors had done.
- His capture by Pharaoh-Necho: Pharaoh-Necho imprisoned Yehoachaz in Rivlah in the land of Chamas, to prevent him from reigning in Jerusalem [as his older brother Eliakim should have reigned in his father’s stead].
- Pharaoh-Necho imposes a fine: Pharaoh-Necho imposed a fine on the land consisting of one hundred talents of silver and a talent of gold.
- Pharaoh-Necho crowns Eliakim-Yehoyakim as king: Pharaoh-Necho crowned Eliakim the son of Yoshiyahu as king instead of his father Yoshiyahu, and he changed his name to Yehoyakim.
- Yehoachaz dies in Egypt: Pharaoh-Necho brought Yehoachaz to Egypt and he died there.
- The moneys of the land are given to Pharaoh-Necho: Yehoyakim gave the silver and gold to Pharaoh, according to Pharaoh’s orders. Every person had to give money in accordance to his wealth.
Leave A Comment?
You must be logged in to post a comment.