Pesukim:112 [Siman: יבק]
Haftorah: Amos 2:6-3:8
|Number of Mitzvos: There are no Positive or Negative commands mentioned in Parshas Vayeishev.
- Yosef’s relationship with his father and brothers:
- Yaakov dwelled in the land of his fathers, in the land of Canaan.
- The slander: Yosef was a lad of 17 years of age. He was a shepherd with his brothers and spent time with the children of the maids. Yosef gave bad reports of his brothers to his father Yaakov.
- Favoritism showed to Yosef: Yaakov loved Yosef more than any of his other sons, as he was born in his old age. Yaakov made for him a beautiful garment. The brothers saw that their father loved Yosef, and could not speak to him in peace.
- Yosef’s dreams:
- Yosef had a dream, and he told his brothers, which led to them hating him even more.
- The first dream: The following was his dream: We were all gathering stalks in the field and my stalk got up and all your stalks turned towards my stalk and bowed to it. The brothers responded to the dream “Will you reign and rule over us,” and they continued to hate him.
- The second dream: Yosef had a second dream and he told it to his brothers. “I saw the sun, moon and eleven stars bowing to me.” Yosef told the story to his father and brothers, and his father rebuked him saying “Do you really believe that I, your mother and your brothers will bow to you.”
- The brothers were envious of Yosef, however, his father preserved the matter in his memory.