Monday, 24th Iyar 5783/May 15, 2023
- The census of men in the Twelve tribes above age 20:
- Reuvein: The census of the tribe of Reuvein, the firstborn of Yaakov, showed a population of 46,500 men above the age of 20.
- Shimon: The census of the tribe of Shimon showed a population of 59,300 men above the age of 20.
- Gad: The census of the tribe Gad showed a population of 45,650 men above the age of 20.
- Yehuda: The census of the tribe of Yehuda showed a population of 74,600 men above the age of 20.
- Yissachar: The census of the tribe of Yissachar showed a population of 54,400 men above the age of 20.
- Zevulun: The census of the tribe of Zevulun showed a population of 57,400 men above the age of 20.
- Ephraim: The census of the tribe of Ephraim showed a population of 40,500 men above the age of 20.
- Menasheh: The census of the tribe of Menasheh showed a population of 32,200 men above the age of 20.
- Binyamin: The census of the tribe of Binyamin showed a population of 35,400 men above the age of 20.
- Dan: The census of the tribe of Dan showed a population of 62,700 men above the age of 20.
- Asher: The census of the tribe of Asher showed a population of 41,500 men above the age of 20.
- Naftali: The census of the tribe of Naftali showed a population of 53,400 men above the age of 20.
- This concludes the census taking of the Jewish people, which was performed by Moshe Aaron and the 12 tribal representatives
- The total count of men above age 20 within the 12 tribes was 603,550.
- The tribe of Levi:
- No census: Hashem commanded Moshe that the tribe of Levi is not to be counted.
- Carrying the Mishkan, dismantling and assembling it: You should appoint the Levites to oversee the Mishkan and its vessels. They are to carry it during travel, minister to the vessels, and encamp around the Mishkan. When it’s time to travel the Levites are to dismantle the Mishkan, and when it’s time to encamp they are to erect the Mishkan. A non-Levite who does this service shall die.
- The position of encampment and travel of the tribes:
- The Jewish people are to encamp, each man in the area of their tribe.
- The Levites are to encamp around the Mishkan. They will guard the Mishkan and prevent wrath from falling upon the Jewish people.
- The Jewish people did all that Moshe was commanded by G-d.
Tanya Chapter 51
1. The main revelation of the soul is in the brain and from there it goes to the various limbs:
· [Based on the above differentiation between the essence of the soul which is not incorporated of any parts, and its ability to shoot forward a revelation of 613 particular soul powers corresponding to each limb, we can now understand the relationship between the brain and the soul. While the essence of the soul is found everywhere in the body equally] the 613 soul powers first entirely reside and become revealed in the brain, and from there it diffuses to each particular limb its corresponding soul power.
· The brain receives soul powers for all limbs: For this reason, the brain is the first to receive the soul powers that correspond to its nature, which is the power of Chabad, intellect, and the power of though, Machshava, and all other powers relevant to the brain. Furthermore, not only are the particular soul powers of the brain revealed in the brain, but its revelation also includes the flow of all the general limbs.
· The brain sends soul powers to all limbs of body: The brain contains the root and source of the general revelation and vitality of the entire soul, and from there a ray of it flows to the remaining limbs of the body, each in accordance to its function and need, such as the power of sight flows to the eyes, the power of hearing to the ears, and so on and so forth. Thus, in conclusion we see that all the soul powers flow from the brain, as it is the headquarters which houses the revelation of the entire soul from which comes the distribution to the limbs. This is similar to the sun from which rays of light shine and penetrate into the various rooms below.