Buy now on Amazon.com
Chapter 1: The Mitzvos
Number of Mitzvos:
There are a total of Fourty one Mitzvos in Parshas Shoftim; Fourteen positive commands and Twenty seven negative commands. The following are the commands in the order listed by the Sefer Hachinuch.
- Mitzvah 491/Positive 203: To appoint judges and police in every Jewish city.
- Mitzvah 492/Positive 204: To Listen to the words of the Beis Din Hagadol.
- Mitzvah 493/Positive 205: To appoint a king over us.
- Mitzvah 494/Positive 206: For the king to write his own personal Sefer Torah.
- Mitzvah 495/Positive 207: To give the arm, cheek and stomach of an animal to the Kohen.
- Mitzvah 496/Positive 208: To separate Teruma Gedola.
- Mitzvah 497/Positive 209: To give the first sharing of wool from sheep to the Kohen.
- Mitzvah 498/Positive 210: For the Kohanim and Levites to set up shifts and rotations of Avoda.
- Mitzvah 499/Positive 211: To listen to a Navi.
- Mitzvah 500/Positive 212: To separate Arei Miklat.
- Mitzvah 501/Positive 213: To repay Eidim Zomimim just like they desired to do.
- Mitzvah 502/Positive 214: To anoint a Kohen during times of war to speak to the soldiers.
- Mitzvah 503/Positive 215: To give an option of surrender and peace to a city where the war waged is optional.
- Mitzvah 504/Positive 216: To break the neck of the Egla Arufa.
- Mitzvah 505/Negative 289: Not to plant a tree in the Mikdash.
- Mitzvah 506/Negative 290: Not to build a Matzeiva.
- Mitzvah 507/Negative 291: Not to sacrifice a Karban that has a Mum.
- Mitzvah 508/Negative 292: Not to argue on the Gedolei Yisrael.
- Mitzvah 509/Negative 293: Not to appoint a non-Jew or Ger as a king.
- Mitzvah 510/Negative 294: A king may not have many horses.
- Mitzvah 511/Negative 295: Not to live in Egypt.
- Mitzvah 512/Negative 296: Not to have to too many wives.
- Mitzvah 513/Negative 297: Shevet Levi may not receive a portion in Eretz Yisrael.
- Mitzvah 514/Negative 298: Shevet Levi may not take any spoilage from war.
- Mitzvah 515/Negative 299: A king may not have more gold and silver than necessary.
- Mitzvah 516/Negative 300: Not to eat do Kesima-actions to tell the future – psychics.
- Mitzvah 517/Negative 301: Not to perform magic.
- Mitzvah 518/Negative 302: Not to perform Chaver-Charms.
- Mitzvah 519/Negative 303: Not to seek the service of an Ov .
- Mitzvah 520/Negative 304: Not to seek the service of a Yidoni.
- Mitzvah 521/Negative 305: Not to seek the dead.
- Mitzvah 522/Negative 306: Not to say a false prophesy in name of G-d.
- Mitzvah 523/Negative 307: Not to prophesize in name of idolatry.
- Mitzvah 524/Negative 308: Not to fear a false prophet and to kill him.
- Mitzvah 525/Negative 309: Not to steal property by changing the line of the border.
- Mitzvah 526/Negative 310: Not to accept a single witness for testimony.
- Mitzvah 527/Negative 311: Not to have mercy on one who is obligated to pay fines and damages.
- Mitzvah 528/Negative 312: Not to fear the enemy during war.
- Mitzvah 529/Negative 313: Not to allow to live any soul of the seven Canaanite nations.
- Mitzvah 530/Negative 314: Not to destroy trees that surrounds a city under siege.
- Mitzvah 531/Negative 315: Not to cultivate the channel where the Egla Arufa was killed.
Chapter 2: Outline of the Parsha
Pesukim: 97 [Siman:סלוא]
- Appointing honest judges and police:
- The Mitzvah to appoint judges and police in all one’s cities.
- The judges are to judge appropriately and may not take bribes.
- Number of miscellaneous commandments:
- Not to plant a tree in the Mikdash.
- Not to build a Matzeiva.
- Not to sacrifice a Karban that has a Mum.
- To kill a Jew who is an idol worshiper.
- Not to accept testimony from one witness.
- To Listen to the words of the Beis Din Hagadol.
- Not to argue on the Gedolei Yisrael.
- Mitzvos relating to appointing a king:
- It is a Mitzvah to appoint a king over us.
- One may not appoint a non-Jew or Ger as a king.
- A king may not have many horses.
- A king may not have to too many wives.
- A king may not have more gold and silver than necessary.
- The king is to write his own personal Sefer Torah.
- Mitzvos relating to Shevet Levi and Kohanim:
- Shevet Levi may not receive a portion in Eretz Yisrael.
- One is to give the arm, cheek and stomach of an animal to the Kohen.
- They are to receive Teruma Gedola.
- One is to give the first sharing of wool from sheep to the Kohen.
- Mitzvos relating to not resembling the Canaanite nations:
- Not to eat do Kesima-actions to tell the future – psychics.
- Not to perform magic.
- Not to perform Chaver-Charms.
- Not to seek the service of an Ov .
- Not to seek the service of a Yidoni.
- Not to seek the dead.
- Mitzvos relating to a Navi.
- One must listen to a Navi.
- To kill a false prophet.
- How to tell if one is a false prophet.
- Mitzvos relating to Ir Miklat:
- Upon arrival to Eretz Yisrael Arei Miklat are to be separated.
- Each city is to be placed in an equal distance.
- An accidental murderer, such as one who killed while wood chopping, is to seek refuge there.
- When the borders will expand another three cities are to be added.
- An intentional murderer cannot seek refuge in the city and he is to be extradited and killed.
- Miscelaneous Mitzvos:
- One may not steal property by changing the line of the border.
- One may not to accept a single witness for testimony.
- To repay Eidim Zomimim just like they desired to do.
- Laws relating to war:
- The speech of the Mashuach Milchama.
- Not to fear the enemy during war.
- For all those who recently married, built a home or vineyard to return.
- Those who have fear may not go to battle.
- The Kohanim and Levites to set up shifts and rotations of Avoda.
- The nation is to give an option of surrender and peace to a city of whom war will be waged against.
- Every male is to be killed if they do not accept peace.
- From the Canaanite nations, not one soul is to be allowed to survive.
- One may not destroy a fruit tree even when placing asiege on a city.
- The Mitzvah of Egla Arufa:
- If a corpse is found, the elders measure to which city it is closest.
- The elders of that city are to bring a calf who has never done work.
- The calf’s neck is to be snapped near a river and that area is to never be cultivated.
- They are to wash their hands in the river and state that they were not involved in the murder.
- The Mitzvah of Egla Arufa: